Friday, August 25, 2006

Question #100

It's the 100th question, which begs for a serious Hmm Question.

Did the introduction of the Grading Curve to the United States educational system, help lower standards in literacy?


I was shocked when I came to the States to study and was asked by my fellow students to stop aiming for 100% on my tests because I was "bringing up the curve." I cringe when I realize a lot of people don't know the difference between effect and affect, they're and their, it's and its.

Why was the Grading Curve introduced? So less people would fail? I just don't understand lowering standards - the whole reason for standards is having goals to shoot for. Or maybe I just don't understand because I've never struggled in class (except for college physics).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home